Contact us:
01508 493330

Latest News & Updates

← Back to News

Posted on January 13th 2016 by admin-movingin

Landlord of two properties ordered to do 240 hours of community service

Failure to provide gas safety certificates has led to a small private landlord being ordered to serve 240 hours of community service.

Dean Taylor pleaded guilty at Harrogate Magistrates Court to breaching Section 33 of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974, as well as Section 36 of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations.

Taylor had failed to comply with an improvement notice issued by the Health and Safety Executive for the lack of gas safety certificates for the appliances in his property. During an investigation, another of his rental properties was found to be without a gas safety certificate.

He was issued with 240 hours of community service, as well as costs of £2,767.

After the hearing, HSE inspector Julian Franklin said: “If you rent property out, you must comply with requirements of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations, including the need to have a gas safety certificate. Gas appliances should be regularly checked, as faulty appliances can kill.”

In another case, a landlord has been hit with an enormous bill after letting out a property where there were rats, mould, a lack of fire alarms and fire doors, over-crowding and an illegally-partitioned room.

Liakath Ali will have to pay a total of £67,000.

The figure is broken down into £37,000 confiscation order, £17,500 costs and £12,500 in fines.

Tower Hamlets Council took Ali to court over the property in Mile End, London.