A landlord whose tenant lived in a flat in such a dangerous state that it could have killed him has been hit with the maximum fine the courts can impose – £5,000.
Bobby Peters was prosecuted by Brent Council in London after he ignored warnings to make repairs to the property.
Willesden Magistrates’ Court heard the tenant was at home when his ceiling partially collapsed.
When environmental officers visited the property they discovered numerous hazards including fire, trip hazards, electrical and sanitation issues.
The tenant also said that a carbon monoxide alarm near the boiler had previously tested positive.
Peters, from Harrow, failed to turn up at court and was given the maximum £5,000 fine and ordered to pay court costs of £855.
Cllr Margaret McLennan, Brent Council’s cabinet member for housing and regeneration, said: “I hope that this successful prosecution sends out a strong message to would-be rogue landlords in the borough that if you are negligent and if you do put your tenants at risk, then there will be consequences.”
From January 1, new licensing requirements mean it will be illegal in Brent to rent a property privately to three or more people without a licence.
It will also be a legal requirement for all privately rented properties in the wards of Harlesden, Wembley Central and Willesden Green to have property licences.