Contact us:
01508 493330

Latest News & Updates

← Back to News

Posted on October 14th 2014 by admin-movingin

Make sure your gas safety checks are upto date.

Two landlords have been fined after a four-month-old baby and both his parents were taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mehboob and Suraiya Bobat were prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after an investigation found four gas appliances at a property in Bolton were unsafe, and that they had failed to arrange an annual gas safety check as the law requires.

A couple, who have asked not to be identified, began renting the two-bedroom terraced house in February 2013 – three months before their baby was due. Towards the end of the month, the expectant mother began to suffer headaches, palpitations and had difficulty breathing.

She was taken into hospital for several days, with doctors assuming her symptoms were linked to her pregnancy. Her husband also started to suffer from severe headaches and was given codeine by his GP.

Later in the year, in August 2013, the couple were both at home in the afternoon looking after their four-month-old son who had been crying all day. The baby’s father also started to suffer with a headache shortly before his wife began to feel dizzy and collapsed.

A Health and Safety Executive investigation found a gas-powered water heater in the kitchen should only have been used for a maximum of five minutes at a time as it did not have a flue. However, it was connected to the washing machine as well as the kitchen sink and had begun to emit high levels of carbon monoxide due to its overuse.

The heater was classified as ‘immediately dangerous’ by a gas engineer, along with a gas heater in the front bedroom. A gas fire in the lounge and gas boiler in the kitchen were also found to be ‘at risk’ of causing carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Bobats were asked to provide a copy of the latest Gas Safety Certificate to prove a registered gas fitter had inspected the property in the past year, but they admitted they did not have one.

Now they have each been sentenced to 80 hours of community service with unpaid work  and each ordered to pay prosecution costs of £720 after pleading guilty to two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. They were also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £60.